Thursday, 17 July 2008

Burma to India – one long walk: Pg 6

(contd from previous page)

After a few days I was discharged from the hospital. Then I went to Trichinopoly and stayed with Pacha* for about ten days. Then I went to Kodaikanal and stayed with my brother-in-law Mr. Soundararaja Iyengar. Here I stayed for about 20 days. In Kodaikanal I enjoyed the stay. I used to go to the Boat Club for which he ws the Secretary. I used to go with him in the boat which he used to row in the lake.

After about a month, I came to Sevilimedu and stayed there. In July, 1942 I was called to Allahabad to join office. I proceeded to Allahabad. After a few months, I was transferred to Kolhapur. I stayed at Kolhapur for a few months.

Iti samaaptam
*Pacha was another of my grandfather's brothers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kodai is a great place.. finally a good break for thatha after a lot of struggle. Btw, who is Sri Soudararaja Iyengar? Thatha's BIL as in one of Patti's brothers? (Dont think so since I know only Raaghu thatha and Venkatesa thatha).. maybe I just dont know the person he's talking about. Do you?
Btw, thanks for the translation.. it was great reading it.. you managed to carry the readers with u.
-Vidya

Pollux aka Paps said...

Thanks Vid.
Soundaraja Iyengar was thatha's sister's husband.
As I said earlier, this whole episode is in thatha's 'voice'. I am glad you liked it.
My next project is to see if I can inputs from you all on memories. email them to me and they can go on the blog too.